Intel today announced the launch of a new generation of Intel Atom processor, the Intel Atom processor E3900 series, designed from the ground up to support the rapid development and the growing complexity of Internet of Things (IoT) businesses. The Intel Atom processor E3900 Series delivers excellent performance and a unique set of features for the edge in segments such as industrial, automotive, video, manufacturing, retail, and more. Intel is also offering an automotive grade processor specifically to address in-vehicle experiences called the Intel Atom processor A3900 series.
Powering Connected Machines Across New Markets
IoT is expected to be a multi-trillion-dollar market, with 50 billion devices1 creating 44 zettabytes (or 44 trillion gigabytes) of data annually by 2020, require much more processing power at the edge in order to maintain viability. The new Intel Atom processor E3900 series will be used across industries to realize the full potential of IoT, creating a wave of change in how we live and work. Key improvements include:
- Excellent CPU performance, fast GFX and media, image processing and Intel Time Coordinated Computing Technology (Intel TCC Technology)
- Achieves new levels of security, determinism, and image and video processing power in a compact form factor
- Delivers ability to handle more sensors and tasks across extended temperatures (TA -40 – 85 degrees Celsius), which is especially critical for industrial use cases
- Keeps systems of devices in sync in reduced latency across a wide variety of applications
- Enhanced CPU in a small, power-efficient package. The Intel Atom processor E3900 series delivers 1.7 times more computing power compared to the previous generation at the edge of IoT operations, for faster memory speeds and memory bandwidth. Built into a compact flip chip ball grid array (FCBGA) and featuring Intel’s latest 14 nanometer silicon technology, it is an excellent fit for a wide range of IoT applications when scalable performance, space and power are at a premium.
- Increased graphics and media processing performance. The processor offers powerful graphics and media capabilities in a flexible package, opening new opportunities for those creating systems for media-rich applications. It features a new graphics engine that improves 3-D graphics performance by 2.9 times compared to the previousgeneration, offers outstanding video capabilities. It also features enhanced image processing with amazing color
- processing and multi-frame technology.
- Intel TCC Technology. Intel TCC Technology synchronizes peripherals and networks of connected devices, achieving determinism. It also resolves latency issues in applications, such as robotics manufacturing, by enabling 1 microsecond timing accuracy across the network.
- Fast, strong processing and sensor integration at the edge. The Intel Atom processor E3900 series will make the edge and fog more intelligent – enabling many of the processing needs to take place right at the edge or fog level and alleviating the need to push all data processing to the data center. For example, in traffic cams and sensor data, there are significant downsides to sending the data to a server to be processed, including loss due to video compression and time spent in data travelling, versus having the ability to process data at the device.
Building the Future of IoT
Intel is collaborating with a diverse ecosystem of leading IoT device and equipment manufacturers, software vendors and OEMs, including Delphi, FAW, Neusoft and Hikvision. Through these collaborations, Intel will enable a broad range of optimized and interoperable, multivendor solutions using the Intel Atom processor E3900 series across industries. Sample uses include:
- Industrial: Predictive maintenance, accelerated time to market and increased quality and remote management
- Digital security and surveillance (DSS)/vision systems (video): Visual data identification and analysis, safety and security, traffic management and monitoring, agriculture and pipeline monitoring, and manufacturing inspection
- Transportation/automotive: Software-defined cockpits and vehicle-to-vehicle communication; additionally, the Intel Atom processor A3900 series will specifically address automotive-grade, in-vehicle experiences
This latest Intel Atom processor for IoT is a major step in Intel’s strategy to enable industries to unlock the promise of IoT. Intel is uniquely positioned to enable every segment of the smart and connected world – powering the majority of the world’s data centers, connecting hundreds of millions of IoT devices and fulfilling the promise of always-on, 5G connectivity, deep machine learning, and security and privacy.
Lineup and Availability
This announcement of Intel Atom processor E3900 series will include the following SKUs:
- Intel Atom x5-E3930 processor
- Intel Atom x5-E3940 processor
- Intel Atom x7-E3950 processor