Intel Core i7 6700K flagship quad-core processor build at a 14nm node. It sounds good and fast, but it’s worth an update? Let’s find out in our review. The new Skylake Core series comes with new socket 1151 with all new chipsets Z170 and H170 of motherboards. Skylake with a smaller 14nm fabrication process, promises to be more energy efficient and quite powerful but in lower TDP of 91W compared to Haswell’s 95W TDP.
The Core i7 6700K comprise quad core CPU has 8 MB L3 cache and an integrated memory controller that supports both DDR4 and DDR3 memory. The Z170 and H170 series motherboards will all be offered with DDR4 but DDR3 will available by some motherboards.
|Processor||Intel Core i7 6700K||Intel Core i7 4790K|
|Socket||LGA 1151||LGA 1150|
|Frequency (GHz)||4.0 – 4.2||4.0 – 4.4|
|Memory||DDR4- 2133MHz||DDR3- 1600MHz|
|IGPU||Intel HD 530||Intel HD 4600|
Intel Core i7-6700K Processor Key Features:
- Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0: Dynamically increases the processor frequency up to 4.2 GHz when applications demand more performance. Speed when you need it, energy efficiency when you don’t.
- Intel Hyper-Threading Technology: Allows each processor core to work on two tasks at the same time for up to 8 total independent tasks (threads) providing parallel processing capability for better multi-tasking with threaded applications.
- Intel Smart Cache: 8 MB of shared cached allows faster access to your data by enabling dynamic and efficient allocation of the cache to match the needs of each core significantly reducing latency to frequently used data and improving performance.
- CPU Overclocking Enabled (with Intel Z170 chipset): Fully unlocked core multiplier, power, base clock and memory ratios enable ultimate flexibility for overclocking.
- Graphics Overclocking Enabled (with Intel Z170 chipset): Unlocked graphics multiplier allows for overclocking to boost the graphics clock speed.
- Integrated Memory Controller: Supports 2 channels of DDR4-2133 and DDR3L-1600 memory with 2 DIMMs per channel. Support for memory based on the Intel Extreme Memory Profile (Intel XMP) specification.
- PCI Express 3.0 Interface: Supports up to 8 GT/s for fast access to peripheral devices and networking with up to 16 lanes configurable as 1×16, 2×8, or 1×8 and 2×4 depending on the motherboard design.
- Chipset/Motherboard Compatibility: Compatible with all Intel 100 Series chipsets with the latest BIOS and drivers.
- Intel HD Graphics 530: Integrated 3D performance with support for Microsoft DirectX 12 and Ultra HD 4K resolution display for immersive mainstream gaming. For Microsoft DirectX* 12 testing, the performance-tuned Intel graphics driver is expected to be available for download on Intel Download Center by the 6th generation Intel Core processor family product introduction. The Intel HD Graphics 530 dynamic graphics frequency ranges up to 1150 MHz.
- Vibrant Media: Enhanced, built-in visual features deliver a seamless visual PC experience for rich Ultra HD 4K entertainment and HD gaming.
- Intel Quick Sync Video Technology: Media processing for incredibly fast conversion of video files for portable media players or online sharing including support for HEVC (H.265) encode/decode to support Ultra HD 4K