Crytek announced its new CRYENGINE V at the Game Developer’s Conference, with lots of new features.
CRYENGINE V will support DirectX 12 with full support for VR. Crytek reworked on low overhead renderer which “Significantly increases the performance of today’s hardware in graphically intensive applications”. Better yet, the latest version of CRYENGINE uses a “pay what you want” basis for developers, where “you contribute what you can” according to the Creative Director of Crytek, Frank Vitz.
Vitz continued: “Game engines that allow for lifelike rendering in real-time will be at the forefront of this revolution. Our first VR lab opened in Istanbul in January. We have seven more going in North America”.
Anshel Sag of Moor Insights & Strategy, said: “Crytek’s CryEngine V is an impressive game engine that is extremely squarely focused on VR and enabling indie developers to create high quality VR games and experiences using CryEngine. The fact that this engine is completely free with no strings attached is extremely good for the industry and the adoption of CryEngine. Having CryEngine be free to developers of all types allows virtually any developer to create an extremely high quality VR experience for their users”.
CRYENGINE V introduces:
- C# Enabled: A new API that allows developers who know C# to start scripting in CRYENGINE V right away.
- Reworked Low Overhead Renderer: Significantly increases the performance of today’s hardware in graphically intensive applications.
- DirectX 12 support: Utilize the latest branch of DirectX to take greater control of hardware resources.
- Advanced Volumetric Cloud System: Optimized for VR to give clouds full 3D spatial rendering for higher quality with minimal performance hit.
- New particle system: Create stunning real-time fluid effects, handled almost entirely on the GPU.
- A new launcher and UI: Navigate CRYENGINE more intuitively thanks to a streamlined UI which includes realigned features and new icon groupings.
- FMOD Studio support: Allowing greater flexibility in audio middleware selection.
- CRYENGINE Answers: A dedicated channel where the CRYENGINE community can share questions and answers.